Honors Program Admissions Requirements
If you are an incoming freshman and have already been accepted to Johnson University, you may apply for the Honors Program if you meet the below requirements. Rising sophomores who have been recommended by the faculty and meet the requirements may also apply.
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.6 or higher (all applicants)
- ACT score of at least 27 or SAT score of at least 1290 (incoming freshmen)
- Placement in the upper 10% of high school graduating class (incoming freshmen)
- Three letters of reference (all applicants). These reference letters are in addition to the three reference letters required for admission to the University. These letters should come from people familiar with your academic background, interests, and abilities. For freshman applicants, the best letters come from high school teachers, administrators, or leaders of organizations with which you are connected. For rising sophomore applicants, the best letters come from University professors or administrators who have personal knowledge of your academic interests or abilities. Reference letters must arrive in the Honors Program Office by the first Monday of August. Letters may be mailed to Gerald Mattingly, Honors Program Coordinator, Johnson University, 7900 Johnson Drive, Knoxville, TN 37998, or by .
- Application essay (all applicants). The application essay should exhibit your best writing skills. In approximately 1000 words, highlight your academic accomplishments, leadership experience, personal and educational interests, participation in school and church activities, work experience, hobbies, travel and long-term goals. Essays are due in the Honors Program Office by the first Monday of August. Essays may be mailed to Gerald Mattingly, Honors Program Coordinator, Johnson University, 7900 Johnson Drive, Knoxville, TN 37998, or by .
- Interview with Dr. Gerald Mattingly, the Honors Program coordinator (all applicants). Applicants complete this interview on the Tennessee campus during their arrival on campus (Genesis Weekend) the weekend before Fall term courses begin.
Honors Diploma Requirements
If you are accepted to the Honors Program, you must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.4 and remain in good standing with the University. Students who fall below 3.4 GPA have one term to increase the GPA back to the 3.4 minimum to avoid being removed from the program. To graduate with an Honors Program recognition on their Diploma, students must be enrolled in Johnson University and the Honors Program for a minimum of three years.
If you would like to learn more about the Honors Program, please contact the Admissions Office or Honors Program Office.
Honors Program Coordinator (Dr. Gerald Mattingly)
Honors Program Administrator (Pamela Mattingly)
Telephone: 865-251-2349 or 800-827-2122 (toll-free)
Johnson Admissions Office
7900 Johnson Drive
Knoxville, TN 37998
Telephone: 800-827-2122 (toll-free)