The Elementary Education (Grades K-6) Major with Endorsements in ESOL and Reading introduces students to the fundamentals of teaching in the elementary school and in English Language Learning (ELL) classrooms. The Elementary Education major includes general education courses and professional studies in early childhood development, educational philosophy, and specialized teaching methodologies. Students receive instruction in lesson preparation and presentation, classroom management, integration of a biblical worldview and application of biblical knowledge to the teaching profession, development and implementation of curriculum, and current trends in education. They develop their own philosophy of education based on these insights, and they demonstrate their skills and knowledge through an electronic portfolio using the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPs). Field experiences expose students to the full range of elementary education in Florida, including ELL and ESE classrooms.
Students in the Elementary Education Grades K-6 with an Endorsement in English as a Second Language program benefit from Johnson’s affordable tuition and engaged faculty members who share a commitment to each student’s success.
When students complete this program, they will be able to do the following:
- Pursue the teaching profession as servants of Christ.
- Understand and apply of principles of human development with a holistic view of the child to the classroom.
- Appreciate multicultural and diverse perspectives.
- Develop and implement an effective system of discipline and classroom management based on a Christian Philosophical foundation.
- Demonstrate technological and technical skills required for competent classroom instruction.
For a comprehensive list regarding program goals and objectives, see the catalog.