State Authorizations

Some states require out-of-state universities to be authorized by the appropriate state authority to provide distance education to residents of that state. Other states do not require authorization. Prospective students should check the list below to see if the University is able to accept students from their state of residence.

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA)

NC_SARA LogoJohnson University is an institutional participant in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). NC-SARA is a voluntary agreement among its member states and U.S. territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance-education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. NC-SARA enables the University to accept any student into a distance education program who resides in a participating state without investing the expense and labor of obtaining authorization from that state. Currently, the following states belong to NC-SARA, and Johnson University is able to accept students from those states into its online programs.

Alabama Iowa Montana Rhode Island
Alaska Kansas Nebraska South Dakota
Arizona Louisiana Nevada Texas
Arkansas Maine New Hampshire Vermont
Colorado Maryland New Mexico Virginia
Georgia Michigan North Dakota Washington
Idaho Minnesota Ohio West Virginia
Illinois Mississippi Oklahoma Wyoming
Indiana Missouri Oregon  

States in Which Johnson University is Authorized

Johnson University’s current marketing, recruiting, and online learning activities do not require authorization or have acquired authorization in the following states; residents of these states may apply for distance education programs at Johnson University:



New Jersey


Puerto Rico



New York

South Carolina




North Carolina



**Kentucky: Kentucky requires authorization for programs that require on-ground internships or field experiences. Johnson University has obtained authorization for the B.A./B.S. in Ministry Leadership, so we can accept students from Kentucky into that program. However, the University has not yet obtained authorizations for the B.S. in Pastoral Care and Counseling, B.A/B.S. in Business Administration, and B.A./B.S. in Intercultural Studies. Therefore, residents of Kentucky may not apply for these programs. They may apply for all online graduate and doctoral programs.

States in Which Johnson University is NOT Authorized

The University has either not yet applied or does not plan to apply for authorization for distance education in the following states; residents of these states may not apply for online programs:

District of Columbia Utah Wisconsin